Six Tips on How To Start a Christian Speaking Ministry
Starting your speaking ministry can feel overwhelming. You feel the Holy Spirit nudging you, and you have a message to share, but you are unsure where to begin. You may even question if you are hearing your calling correctly. Being called to step out in faith and obeying the Lord can make you uneasy, but remember, your story matters! Your life experiences will help women who need encouragement.
A speaking ministry wasn’t on my radar until a sweet friend asked me to come and speak to her Bible study group on spiritual habits, the topic of my recently released book.
I’m a writer, not a speaker, I thought.
But God had a different plan than I did. And those nudges from the Holy Spirit were too powerful for me to ignore. As a result, I now see how my story of engaging in spiritual habits is helping women struggling with conforming to the world.
While speaking and writing seem to go hand in hand, you don’t need to be a published author to launch a speaking ministry. I know plenty of women who solely have a speaking ministry and have no desire to write a book.
What you do need is faith and the willingness to work hard. Booking speaking engagements and crafting a message doesn’t happen overnight. Also, the enemy will not like that you are doing God’s work, so be prepared to battle some spiritual warfare. However, do not let that stop you from obeying the Lord in your calling! Stand firm in God’s Truth, and you will see Him at work in your ministry.
Here are six tips for beginning a speaking ministry:
- Pray. Set aside some time and focus on God and His Word. What is the message that God wants you to speak? Who is your target audience? How will your message bring God glory through your story?
- Armor up. The enemy will be coming at you and your family in full force. Ask some friends to cover you in prayer and put on the armor of God daily. (Ephesians 6:10-18)
- Look at the big picture. What are your goals in your ministry? Take some time to write out your ministry goals, both personal and spiritual. What is your mission statement? My mission statement is “Encouraging Women to Live Audaciously for Christ.” My ministry is to build up women to speak boldly in their faith.
- Create a speaker one-sheet. Using Canva, create a one-sheet that includes your headshot, contact information, website address, social media links, a tidbit of your signature message and any testimonials from others you may have.
- Set aside time to draft your message and practice. What is the main takeaway you want your audience to have? Create a sticky statement that is memorable and catchy. For example, one of my sticky statements is “The world conforms, Christ transforms,” based on Romans 12:2. It is simple and to the point.
- Contact event coordinators. Now that you have crafted your message, it’s time to call or email event coordinators. Begin with the local churches with women’s ministries. Let the coordinators know that you are just beginning and would love to come and speak.
A speaking ministry takes time and energy to build, but it’s worth it. You are called to further the Kingdom of God, and what a joy that is!
Cheering you on!
What steps are you going to take today to start your speaking ministry?
August 10, 2021
November 3, 2020